Two weeks ago I stumbled upon a Blog called Sew Tessuti. It’s about a fabric store in Australia but the owner also loves sewing and vintage patterns. She made a wonderful orange dress following a vintage Simplicity pattern. I tried to find the pattern on ebay but well… it’s like finding the famous needle in a haystack and so I decided to make some alterations on my standard dress pattern which I wanted to share.
A Standard Dress Pattern
I made a standard dress pattern years ago alterating a simple dress pattern from a vintage BURDA magazin. The advantage of altering a standard dress pattern over buying a new one is pretty clear: Altering every single pattern is time consuming plus there are a lot of patterns you can make out of a simple one! I do this all the time – for Blythe as well as for myself.
Back to my standard pattern: To make the overview easier, I made an illustration of it. As you can see, the pattern is really simple but the perfect base for all kind of styles:
Looking at Tessuti’s orange dress you see there is an insertion left and right on the upper bodice. I added this insertion just tracing its form over a copy of my standard dress pattern like this (the illu just shows it on one side):
Afterwards I cut the insertion out.
That’s it! When you cut your fabric you just add seam allowance (illustration: white) all around your new pattern parts and sew the parts together again. For a nice finish you add a top-stitch and – if you like – Buttons on one or both sides.
Some time ago I started a nifty clothing set for Blythe, called » the Fashion Hazard. The main idea about it was to create a fully reversible set with a sharp space age look like Courrèges or Cardin had in the 60s. I love the Fashion Hazard but the helmet pattern was not smart and tight fitting enough for what I had in mind. So I went for a more aerodynamic look and changed the pattern over and over until I got this kewl result!
Miss Moon models “The Coordinating Principle – Part 1: The Funky Nurse” a space-age outfit by *jaszmade
Overview: 1 fully reversible helmet, 1 fully reversible cape, 1 fully reversible tunic/minidress, a pair of white and a pair of pattern trousers.
At the moment I am working on some fully reversible sets called “Fashion Hazard”. I named these pure Mod outfits like that because they remind me on protective clothing in bio hazard laboratories and sure you find a tad of 1960s Courrèges and Cardin style in them! ;)
Miss Reenie shows you one of the prototypes. As you can see, a set consists of a helmet, a dress and a cape. Every single bit is fully reversible.
I am thinking about making the sets only on request but I am not quite sure yet. I need to overwork the helmet pattern again but I am happy how the dress and the cape worked out.
If you are interested in a Fashion Hazard, please either leave me a comment so I know how many I may produce in the following days. You can also do it on flickr but PLEASE take attention on your wording, you know that I am not allowed to use flickr as a sales plattform!!!! Or you write an email to let me know about your interest to she [at] jaszmade.com
A 3-piece Fashion Hazard set will be around U$ 60/65
YAY– what a day!!! M and Skye were at the “Trabrennbahn Berlin-Mariendorf” (Trotting Course Berlin) on Sunday and they enjoyed the nice afternoon!
The landlord won € 3,10 , woohooo! That was quite funny! But I guess the main thing for the girls was their styling! Just look how cute they look in their 60s Mod Outfits! They felt like stylish Sixties spies
M (left) wears Natasha Moore stock coat over a black *jaszmade mini dress, her beret is from Polly-Jane on Etsy. Skye (right) wears a yellow cape by Andrea Barja, a *jaszmade mini dress and The Lollipop, a crocheted *jaszmade hat. Boots are Barbie vintage.