Two weeks ago I stumbled upon a Blog called Sew Tessuti. It’s about a fabric store in Australia but the owner also loves sewing and vintage patterns. She made a wonderful orange dress following a vintage Simplicity pattern. I tried to find the pattern on ebay but well… it’s like finding the famous needle in a haystack and so I decided to make some alterations on my standard dress pattern which I wanted to share.
A Standard Dress Pattern
I made a standard dress pattern years ago alterating a simple dress pattern from a vintage BURDA magazin. The advantage of altering a standard dress pattern over buying a new one is pretty clear: Altering every single pattern is time consuming plus there are a lot of patterns you can make out of a simple one! I do this all the time – for Blythe as well as for myself.
Back to my standard pattern: To make the overview easier, I made an illustration of it. As you can see, the pattern is really simple but the perfect base for all kind of styles:
Looking at Tessuti’s orange dress you see there is an insertion left and right on the upper bodice. I added this insertion just tracing its form over a copy of my standard dress pattern like this (the illu just shows it on one side):
Afterwards I cut the insertion out.
That’s it! When you cut your fabric you just add seam allowance (illustration: white) all around your new pattern parts and sew the parts together again. For a nice finish you add a top-stitch and – if you like – Buttons on one or both sides.
This is an idea for the custom Blythe girl I am working on atm. These little sketches leaned on Takara/CWC illustrations help me making up my mind about how the doll may look after I am done. I need a finished picture in my head or I am going to change the girl over and over again. In the end she may look a bit different but this is “the map” where I can find my way to her hidden personality
If you are interested in a stylish Jasz girl, feel free to ask your questions at she [at] jaszmade.com
Phew… I finally finished La Toya, my second Black Blythe custom and the 4th official Dr. Jasz custom
As some may know, I started with a botched face I bought on ebay a while ago (»see Black Blythe Diary) but changed it for a perfect one because you saw the flaws even with the colour coat and all the effort I made to rescue it. Now I am happy with her little face… mouth and eyes are gorgeous and she turned out to be a jewel in my eyes!
At the moment I am still undecided about her hair… should I give her a haircut or not… hmmm… I love this “glory of hair” but it is quite a lot and not easy to comb or style if you are not used to… maybe I will let her future owner decide!
I will take more photos of her during the next days and put her on the bay afterwards. In case you are interested in buying her, please follow »her set on flickr for more pictures!
My idea of Zal was driven by the imagination of a serious working girl who loves After-Work Martinis as much as nature and books.
Custom Work done
* sandmatte face
* carved lips
* slightly carved eyeholes
* new make over with airbruch and chalk pastels
* repainted lips
* carrot mohair reroot
* new human lashes
* haircut/ hairdo
* new custom eyechips
* all sealed with MSC flat
* 2 matching outfits