There are many ways to give a Blythe some curls but the best is making a boil perm. Yes, you can put some curlers in and wait a few days but it is not the same and the curls will be gone quicker than lightening! Maybe you are unsure and think a permanent curl will last forever… well… no, a boil perm is reversible! You can make a very stiff one that could last forever but even this one is reversible with a bit of patience!!! Look at Fran, my FTS…
One day, Fran wanted to look like a housewife for a photoshoot so I gave her a slight boil perm. Afterwards she wanted to be mod again and I washed her hair with hot water, combed it, let it dry and the curls were gone.
Okay, so let’s go.
Please note: This tutorial is also available »in portugues at blythe.com.br – Como fazer uma permanente no cabelo da sua Blythe – Thanks to Ana and Samara ♥
1. First of all, put her hair in curlers
2. Then boil some water – I always do the spa things in the kitchen sink – put a ceramic (!) bowl (no metal bowl like I did to be sure it won’t melt her hair!) big enough for dolly’s head into the sink.
3. I prefer waiting 2 or 3 minutes after the boil because I am always too chicken and think the water may melt her hair but I learned not waiting too long, the water must be very hot for good results! Hold the brave victim over the bowl or put her into the bowl head over and pour the hot water all over her hair slowly.
4 a. If you want just a *slight* curl, dip her into the bowl with hot water 2 or 3 times, then rinse her under cold water and go on with 5.
4 b. If you want stiff results, repeat this process 2 or 3 times. The more you boil the longer the curls will remain. For a Afro e.g. you need mini curls and even more repeats. When you are finished, rinse her hair under cold water.
5. Let her hair dry. Depending on her hair thickness that takes several hours. My tip is to make the perm in the afternoon and wait for the next morning or better the next afternoon to see the results
TIP A: I am impatient so I use the hairdryer from time to time but not too long and not too hot – in contrary to the boiling water the hairdryer WILL HARM and MELT her hair!!! So be careful!
TIP B: Some people say, the perm gets even better if you put your girl into the freezer after her hair is half dry. I never did this but it would not be amiss … heeheee…
6. Remove the curlers and style her
P.S. Even if I wrote this tutorial, I am not responsible for any damage you cause customising your Blythe! This is a recommendation only and it works fine when done with love.