YAY! I made it! As one of the many many peeps all over the world who took part in Zoe’s Me-Made-May-Challenge 2012, I mastered a full month of wearing one self-made bit everyday. At the beginning I thought I could never make it but after a while I got inventive and tried to wear at least a pin which I made myself if not a full outfit. These were my little helpers in case I just couldn’t wear a piece of self-made clothing:
My new favorite bag (left), I made it after the weather got too hot to sport my knit-felted bag (up right); my black tatted necklace, one of the first presentable bits of my new passion: tatting. I also have a tatted bracelet but didn’t take a picture of it.
These three skirts as well as some black pants (which I forgot to photograph) were the perfect everyday wear and could be combined with a lot of matching tops. Especially the black skirt and trousers helped lot to master the month. I wore them pretty often and that gave me an idea on what I should focus my sewing-goals in future: I need much more separates to wear and I should start making tops instead of only dresses or skirts.
Some of my all-time-favourite dresses. While I have the dotted one in the middle for years now, the striped sailor dresses on the left and right are new additions to my wardrobe. I made them at the beginning of MMM’12 and I love especially the navy-white one with the ring on the left – that’s so my dress! It is made out of jersey knit. I thought I would be loathing sewing knits but found out that I actually loved working with them. If you are still unsure but want to try knits you can find a lot of inspiring thoughts and help on sewing knits on Lladybirds blog: Conquering Knits: A Self-Help Guide and on Sewaholic’s: A Big List of Tips for Sewing Knits!
So what’s my resumé after a full month of me-made-treasures?
- I love working with knits!
- I feel happy wearing something selfmade everyday – even when it is just a bag or a necklace. Somehow I feel more special about myself knowing there is something I made just for me to express my own style. I want to feel like this more often in future!
- I really need much more separates, especially trousers in more than one basic colour which is always black for me. Sure, I have some from H&M, Mexx and so on but I hate that most of them are not as fitted as they could be. Same with denims and tops. Somehow I’m always too lazy to make a blouse or shirt because there are loads of them in stores. Why would I sit down and sew a T-shirt? Well, after MMM ’12 I know why: Because I feel better doing my thing!
- I learned (again) that I do not like to wearing most of my me made dresses in public because they are much too overstyled for everyday needs. Look at the first pic e.g., I mean, I love the dress on the left – a lot – but I do feel like a clown wearing it going to the groceries… so my goal is (again) to sew for my daily routine and not for the fantasy of owning more dresses than a year has days. Something I do not wear without to think about is just an obstacle but no gain.
- I really don’t like to have my picture taken! Bluarp!
- I should overcome the fear of making a jacket or coat. Finally! I really should. Maybe I start with a cape. We will see…
- Last but not least it was a pleasure to see other people wearing their outfits – I stalked so many blogs this may, it was a pleasure Thanks to Zoe for the inspiration of Me-Made-May!